Thursday, January 24, 2008

careers

If you're a musician - you can relate to this - You're sitting in a rehearsal, things are going well, very well infact. But you're continuing to have to repeat something over and over and over again, despite the fact that the ensemble is playing (or singing) well. And you get this feeling of,"Man...I'm so ready to be done with rehearsal. Ugh." - or at least some variant of that. Well, I started feeling that last night around 10...We had been playing practically since 9 that morning. My lips are chapping and my face is drying out. And I had such a thought as the one described above. And then I had another thought - "this sure beats the heck out sitting in a cubicle having someone yell at you about how they can't control their checkbooks, and that you're taking money from them." So I smile and think how blessed I am that I play for a living right now. Even though a small payroll fiasco threatened the whole pay thing yesterday - that has been cleared up, and now things are cool again.

In other things - guilt is unfortunately a double edged sword. On one hand - it has the benefit of sometimes being the media through which our conscience speaks to us. On the other hand it can be used as a manipulative tool by human or spirit. I guess the hard part is distinguishing which one it is at the time it hits you.

For anyone curious - the show schedule is posted a few posts below this! Come and see it! The show is really good!

Coming soon: Pictures of Frostburg State University

3 comments:

alice-anne said...

uh...today in rehearsal i think i sang three chords (well, participated in three chords, therefore singing three notes) for about 30 minutes. i know what you mean. and the room was warm...so i fell asleep. i wouldn't recommend the sleeping part though.

Tammie's Thoughts said...

talk them into coming close to the Memphis area and I'll be there! And keep thinking positive...you could be talking to people about their checkbooks!

Mara Jayne said...

Yeah... sooo... sorry about the whole payroll 'fiasco'. Remember this is my first tour too!