Sunday, March 16, 2008

You're Arrogant! You're Aloof!

The title is a quote from the musical that I am touring with. Jo March says this to Professor Bhaer before their relationship turns into a loving one, after Professor Bhaer speaks his mind to her, which she asked him to.

As unfortunate and as embarrassing as this may be - I have a problem.
I can be an arrogant moron. I've always had a problem with it. Sometimes it has been under control, and other times, Pride's ugly head seems to look very much like me when I look in the mirror. I know that I am with people in saying that the 2 hardest lessons for me to learn are lessons of patience and humility.

There is a stereotype within the musical world.
Sopranos and Trumpet players = Arrogant/cocky/condescending.
This is not always true, but sometimes I wonder if perhaps I should've played trumpet...and then I am reminded that my lips are WAY to big for all that. The trombone sounds better anyway ;-)

Forgive me if you've ever had to put up with this side of me. *Cue jokes* (I can take em!)

4 comments:

Tyler said...

You say trumpets are arrogant. Maybe they're overly confident and just vocal about it.

:-)

Tammie's Thoughts said...

What about if we ever had to just put up with you at all?

Just kidding...we miss you!

Ian said...

I don't know if it's arrogance when it is painfully obvious you're the best. Like all through my band career when every director I ever had told me daily to play "correctly" and to forsake my inner-trombonist, I would simply laugh on the inside and pretend that I hadn't heard him. Ignorance is bliss, but obvious superiority is even better.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.